Edmonton police make only minor changes to Commonwealth security plan after attack

  • By
After an officer was hit by a car and stabbed outside of an Edmonton Eskimos game on Sept. 30, a spokesperson for the Edmonton police said any changes to their security detail for the first home game since the attack will be minor.
“Plans in place were already robust,” said Insp. Regan James with the field response branch, in a written statement. “There will be some adjustments that will not likely be recognized by patrons.”
At 8:15 p.m. on Sept. 30, a Chevrolet Malibu rammed into a police barricade outside of Commonwealth Stadium.
Const. Michael Chernyk, 48, an 11-year veteran of the police, was standing behind a traffic barricade and in front of his police car near 107A Avenue and 92 Street when he was hit by the car, launching him four-and-a-half metres through the air.
A male suspect leaped from the vehicle and began stabbing Chernyk with a knife before fleeing on foot.
“He was in a struggle for his life, holding on to his gun with one hand and blocking the knife with his other,” said Edmonton police Chief Rod Knecht, in a 3 a.m. press conference the morning after the attack. “It is a testament to his experience and training that he survived the confrontation.”
Chernyk suffered stab wounds to his face and head and significant abrasions to his arms in the attack. He was released from hospital within 24 hours of being admitted and later given a hero’s welcome at the home opener of the Edmonton Oilers game at Rogers Place on Oct. 4.
The same suspect was then linked to another attack on Jasper Avenue hours later where a U-Haul truck deliberately attempted to hit pedestrians near 107 Street and 109 Street, striking four people.
Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, 30, faces 11 charges including five counts of attempted murder in connection to both attacks.
The Edmonton Eskimos will face the Toronto Argonauts Saturday at 5 p.m.
With files from Catherine Griwkowsky


0 Comments Write your comment

    1. Loading...